Banned Book Title Poetry Contest
Write a Poem – Enter the Contest – Win a Flash Drive!
The Oboler Library at Idaho State University is again sponsoring a “Banned Book Title” Poetry Contest in celebration of Banned Books Week (Sept. 30-Oct. 6, 2012). The prize, a 1 GB jump drive, will be awarded to the author of the best poem, selected by a panel of local writers. The winning poem and some of our favorites will be included in a library display, and posted on the library web page.
Entries will be accepted from September 30 through October 6, 2012 at 5 p.m.
- The poem can be haiku, limerick, sonnet, unrhymed, rhymed, ballad, lyric, or free verse. Anything goes!
- It should include words from three or more banned book titles.
- Title words can be in any order and mixed with other titles.
- You do not have to use every word from the title.
- You may use other words as needed to make the poem sound right.
To Find Banned Book Titles
Check out the Banned Book Resource Guide at the reserves desk of the library, or go to:
Frequently Challenged Books by ALA:
List of books banned by governments
American Booksellers Foundation for free Expression: Banned and Challenged Book List
Banned and Challenged Classics
Other banned book sites/lists may be used; please include URL or citation in your submission.
As I lay dying,
Where angels fear to tread: one
Day of life -— twilight!
By Joan Juskie
As I Lay Dying
Where Angels Fear to Tread
One Day of Life
- Title of poem
- The poem
- Your name
- List of titles used
- Preferred contact method: Phone or Email
- Source of banned book titles
- Drop your poem off at the circulation desk in the library or submit by email at email@example.com
- Deadline for entry into the contest is 5:00 p.m. October 6, 2012
- Winners will be announced on October 10th
Winner of the flash drive will be determined by a panel of judges.
Winning poetry and the committee’s favorites will be displayed in the library, on Library News http://www.isu.edu/library and the Banned Book Title Poetry webpage http://www.isu.edu/library/services/bbwpoetry.shtml
Disclaimer: Entry of poem into contest gives permission to the Library to use the poem in future displays and library publications.